The students are expected to give four 30-minute presentations from the first 6 cantos as a part of Bhakti-vaibhava requirements. Topics would be provided beforehand.
Example presentation topics from Cantos 1 & 2 of Srimad Bhagavatam
- SB 1.1.1 – Explanation of janmadyasya yatah verse
- Srimad Bhagavatam, Amala Purana (Glories of Srimad Bhagavatam from first 2 cantos)
- Glories of Parikshit Maharaj
- Separation from the Lord (With examples of Narada, Yudhistira, Arjuna, Dharani…)
- Purpose of Saintly person’s travelings (With examples of Vidura, Sukadeva Goswami, Narada…)
- The Time Factor (Bhisma’s prayers…)
- Tolerance of a Vaishnava (With examples of Draupadi, Vyasadeva, Parikshit, Dharma…)
- Stages in the path of Devotional Service ([1.5.23-37], [1.2.16-22], Comparison with Adau shraddha tatha sadhu sanga…; With the example of Narada muni’s life as son of maid)
- Lord glorifies His devotees (With examples of Parikshit, Bhishma, Pandavas…)
- Success Story of a Sadhaka (Life of Narada Muni)
- Receptivity to Good Instructions (With examples of Dhrtrastra, Asvatthama, Parikshit, Vyasadeva, Sages, Narada…)
- Lord’s Incarnations (From SB chapters 1.3 & 2.7)
- Seeing the invisible hand of Lord (Life of Parikshit Maharaja – Saved in womb but Cursed to die)
- Tvam Akincana Gocaram…
- Mood/ Qualifications of Speaker & Hearer of Srimad Bhagavatam (Sages, Suta, Suka, Parikshit…)
- Glories of ‘Sravanam’ (From various verses/sections in the first 2 cantos)
- Superiority of Bhakti Yoga (From SB chapters [1.5-6] & [2.1-3] etc)
- The Process of Creation
- Materialistic Life (From the criticism of materialistic men by Vidura, Sukadeva Goswami, Sages, & Srila Prabhupada etc)
- Catuh-sloki (Establish the authenticity of Sambandha, Abhideya & Prayojana of our Sampradaya using the Catuh-sloki Bhagavatam)
- 10 Topics of Srimad Bhagavatam
- Why to know about Universal Form/Creation?
- Spirit of an authorized representative of Lord/Bhagavatam speaker (From the mood of Suta Goswami, Prayers of Sukadeva Goswami, Brahma-Narada samavada & other sections in Canto 1, 2)
- Lord as the material, instrumental & effective cause of the universe (From Canto 2)
- Principles of Administration & Leadership (With examples of Parikshit, Yudhistira & Brahmaji…)
- Natural Living
- Hearing about Devotees
Guidelines for Presentation
Depending on the topic, the presentation may have few or many or all of the following “Contents” – Srimad Bhagavatam Text, Srila Prabhupada statements, Sanskrit Verses and Principles for Personal applications (P), Lessons (L), Examples (E), Analogies (A), Sastric connections (S). (The PLEAS Formula)
At least 60% of the presentation should be based on Srimad Bhagavatam Text and Srila Prabhupada’s purports of the canto on which presentation is made. The presentations will be evaluated by a Jury panel & fellow students. There will be a question & answer session for 5 minutes after the presentation. Students are expected to submit a 1 or 2 page overview document of their presentation along with the PPT.
The presentations are evaluated by a jury panel (of faculty members) based on the CPU Formula.
Content [40%] →
- The ability and effectiveness in utilizing the “Contents” for presentation.
- Connecting Srila Prabhupada’s statements effectively
- Quoting ‘relevant’ verses, explaining with appropriate analogies & examples
- Maintaining a natural flow – no sudden jumps in making statements
- Relevance of the quoted PLEAS to the topic.
- Confidence, Body language, grammar etc.
Understanding of the subject[30%] →
- Understanding of the context of pastime/ event.
- Understanding of the philosophical aspects of topic.
- Clarity of thought.
- Ability to answer questions.