After the release of first volume in the Bhagavata Subodhini series (Bhagavata Subodhini Cantos 1 & 2) on 21st September 2015 (Radhastami) by HG Jananivas Prabhu, an overwhelming appreciation and interest in the title naturally demanded for the next volume in the series to be presented soon.
Bhagavata Subodhini is a user-friendly guide for studying the Srimad Bhagavatam. It also contains helpful compilations and presentations that provide deeper understanding as well as resource material especially for preachers.
Bhagavata Subodhini Canto 3 was officially launched by HH Radhanath Swami Maharaja at the ISKCON Chowpatty on 31st January 2016, after the morning’s Srimad Bhagavatam Class. Maharaja expressed his heartfelt blessings.
Bhagavata Subodhini Cantos 1&2 had sold 2500 copies within four months of its launching, primary due to the magnanimous support of ISKCON leaders. That book received its first attention at the GBC College’s 2nd Residential Semester at Govardhan Eco Village during October 2015. HH Bhakti Vijnana Gosvami Maharaja, who is known for his scholarship, both in material and spiritual sciences expressed his desire to have the book made available in Russian language, for the benefit of the Russian speaking devotees. Similarly, HG Gaudiya prabhu from China, personally volunteered to oversee the translation and printing of a Chinese version of the same. Likewise, the translations into other languages like Hindi and Marathi are also in progress.
“Since the brahmacaris have been given unique support by the ISKCON community, to sit and study Srimad Bhagavatam at the Bhaktivedanta Vidyapitha, it was a deep longing in their hearts to make an attempt to repay the kindness and sacrifice of the Vaishnavas by somehow offering a gift of gratitude to aide them in their own study and relish of the Bhagavatam. This gratitude took the form of the Bhagavata Subodhini.”
– Bhaktivedanta Vidyapitha Team
Subsequent to this, the publication received more blessings from the GBC members during the GBC Midterm Meetings at Govardhan Ecovillage in October 2015. Bhaktivedanta Vidyapitha is indebted to the senior leaders of ISKCON for their support and blessings in making this guide more accessible to the Vaishnava community throughout the world.
True to its name, Bhagavata Subodhini is found to be a teacher of the Bhagavatam (subodhini meaning teacher). The book attempts at guiding the keen reader through the numerouspastimes, lessons, sections and transitions that each canto so interestingly presents. It pauses the reader at important verses, broadens the view of detailed sections and highlights the import of sections.
Here’s what to expect from Bhagavata Subodhini Canto 3 (Second volume of the series):
- Overview – This section provides a verse-by-verse synopsis of the entire canto, highlighting the import of the verse as well as links between verses, sections and chapters supported by flow charts, tables or chart format for easy understanding.
- Note: (New Addition in this Volume!) Vital comment or explanation of a verse, based on the commentaries of Srila Prabhupada and Acaryas.
- Special Verses – Multifaceted understanding of select verses. Witness how, why and in what way, these verses are quoted in the commentaries of Vaisnava acaryas.
- Thematic Compilations – This section consists of multiple prominent themes that are present in the specific cantos of Srimad Bhagavatam. The objective of this section is to make the readers appreciate the cross sectional view on a specific theme revealed in various chapters of a canto, in addition to inspire one to study the Bhagavatam from various angles like descriptions of the lord, important philosophical extractions, special sections elaborated based on commentaries, etc.
- Appendix – The extensive lists of reference material from the cantos are presented in this section. Unlike the thematic compilations section, these materials are more or less direct in nature with little or no analysis. Examples of such topics are the names of Lord Krishna, Analogies, Character portrayals, etc.
The intention and aspiration of the Bhagavata Subodhini series is to propagate the reading, study and delight in Srimad Bhagavatam, thus simultaneously glorifying the efforts of ISKCON Founder Acarya His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Srila Prabhupada, who first brought the Bhagavatam into worldview.